Dark red rash on metal plate on ankle. Developed insulin resistant diabetes. What could it be?

Hello, My husband has a metal plate and screws in his ankle since 2005. Shortly after the broken ankle, he developed insulin-resistant diabetes . He had eczema on the ankle in 2006, but it went away. Now, there is a dark red rash directly over the plate and it is getting worse - started out as pink then got darker. The outer part of his ankle is fine even though there is a narrow plate there. Do you have any idea what this can be?
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012