Dark red patch on the leg, increasing in size, itching and pain only after shower. What is it?

My boyfriend has a dark red patch on his leg. It seems to be getting bigger. He says it doesnt hurt or itch until after he gets out of the shower. It started out about the size of a quarter and now its about the size of five. in the middle there is a purplish tint. It also has a few bumps near the edge. Any help as to what this might be?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Hi i think it is infective eczematous dermatitis or nummular presents as coin shaped lesions with itching on and off.more in winter months.use of atarax 25 mg at night.antibiotic twice daily and application of moisteriser along with diprovate g ointment over the lesions can cure the condition