Dark purplish spot on face. Does not hurt but growing larger. What could it be?

Yesterday I woke up and noticed a dark purplish spot on the face area right under my eye lid. I thought it was left-over makeup so I tried removing it which is when I noticed that it was there to stay. It doesn t hurt and this morning it s larger. I haven t bruised it that I know of. What should I do and what could it be
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Purplish spots on body are suggestive of some kind of internal bleeding.
Most common cause of such internal bleeding is trauma.
However, there is no history of trauma in your case.
Pin-point purple spots are called petechial spots and they are due to disorders of platelets either decrease in number or defect in function.
You need to consult your physician for clinical examination.
Some tests especially pertaining to blood tests checking the platelet status need to be performed.
Your treating doctor will guide you through the further work up.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal