Dark patches on tongue, mouth sores, throat aches, strep throat ?

My toung has 1 big smooth dark red patch in the middle of it and 2 small smooth dark red patches on the tip od it. The rest of my toung is light pink (normal color) with the tastebud things still there where as the dark red spots are completely smooth. I noticed it yesterday because my whole mouth was sore. Now i only have a minor throat ach but my toung still looks funny. I looke it up and it could be mono geographic toung or strep . I dont want to go to the doctors because im deathly afraid of tests. Help?
Asked On : Wed, 2 May 2012