Dark patches near groin area, belly button, elbow. Could it related to liver or insulin resistance?

Hello I am just wondering what this might be from I was at the hospital a couple f days ago and I showed them skin at the top of me legs near my groin area that is really dark in big patches I Har it about 2 or 3 years now and I did have a patch on my belly button and elbow but they went away and te ones on my legs have gotten darker so the doctor took a blood sample and I am waiting for the results now. In the mean time I looked up online what it could be and I found it is called acanthosis nigricans and that some times the cause of it an be liver problems or insulin resistance . When they took the blood sample I noticed the wantedy glucose checked and liver does this mean I could have either? Thanks :)
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012