Dark line on side of toe, constantly stubbing toe. Could melanoma appear that quickly?

I have a darK line that recently appeared on the side of my toe beginning at the base of the nail and running along side the nail to the top of the nail (not the toe). Could a melanoma appear that quickly? I am constantly stubbing my feet against the base of a love seat as I do not wear shoes in the house. The line almost looks like I could remove it. There does not seem to be any pain. I am concerned about cancer . Please offer some guidance.
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012