Dark, flat, dry and itchy spots on elbows spreading to body followed by dryness and darkening. Suggestive treatment?

All my life I ve had dark, flat and dry spots on the other side of my elbows. Sometimes they itch and sometimes they don t. I ve never really done anything about nor have I worried about them. The doctor prescribed some ointment but I can t tell if it s actually helped or not. But recently this condition seems to be spreading around my body. They re now on my wrists and my left armpit and even on my fingers and the webbed part between the fingers. It starts out as an itch. The affected area is first red and there are multiple small bumps. Later on, the area begins gets dryer and around the same time the skin darkens. After it darkens, it seems to become permanent and the itchiness comes and goes. I ve tried searching for conditions with symptoms similar to mine but I haven t found any. None of the ones I ve researched ( eczema , psoriasis dermatitis , etc) mention darkened skin. Can you give me an educated guess as to what my condition is called and some suggestions for treatment? I ve been using cortisone cream which seems to ease the itchiness and kind of lightens up the dark spots and makes them smoother, however I want the dark spots completely removed. The dark spots are uncomfortable and are making me very self-conscious. Thank you very much.
Asked On : Wed, 7 Nov 2012