Dark brown spotting, back pain, tender breasts, trying to conceive. Causes for negative pregnancy tests?

I have had dark brown spotting for the last four day about four days before my period is due. My period was due yesterday. I had lower back pain yesterday and it is worse today. I am tired. I took a pregnancy test in the morning the last couple of days but it turned out to be negative. I am not hungry but no nausea . No heart burn and breasts are a little tender. We are trying to get pregnant. It seems I have several pregnancy symptoms but why are my tests coming back negative? If I am having pregnancy symptoms, shouldn t I have HCG being produced by now enough to show up on a pregnancy test?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012