Dark and purple spots on toes, painful to touch. What is going on?

I stubbed my little toe a week ago. Within a few hours it went dark purple from top to bottom as well as part of the next toe. Very painful to walk on but gradually eased. However still painful to touch and can t bend it. Pain beginning to move down foot to ankle but not sure if this is from walking differently to compensate for earlier pain. Advised not to go to hospital to get it looked at as they can t do much for a broken toe but pain still continuing. I walk a lot in work and am up and down stairs all day - should I get it seen to and what can be done?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013