Damaged ligament on knee. On naproxen. When can I get back to playing sports?

Hiya I damaged a ligament in my right knee playing football 6weeks ago. I believe it was the acl ligament (the one that effects the forward and backwards motion) I seemed medical help the next day who sent me away on crutches and gave me exercise techniques. I was told no football for 4 weeks and if it still wasn t right after 4 weeks, to see my GP. 4 weeks past and although my knee was a lot better, I was still unable to lock the knee in when standing. So I went to my GP. He advised that he couldn t feel any damage inside the knee cap but could see the discomfort we he brought the knee up towards me. I was sent away with naproxen , and told to take for 2 weeks cycle a bike and jog on it if u could. And if it hasn t improved, to come back. The 2 weeks is now nearly up and the knee still won t lock out when standing. Ii did go out on my bike and had no discomfort at all. I went back to football training (not a match) which involved jogging. I put a knee support on but felt uncomfortable when jogging on it, and although I could pass a ball, I was unble to have really any power in it. Needless to say my coach made me sit out for most of the exercises. I would really like your advise on why the knee is not locking in properly and how long till I can get back to playing football properly. I was told no match play until September. But at this rate I m starting to think this is not going to be possible. Please help.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012