Damaged Eustachian tubes, cut polyps. Is it safe to fly a plane?

Hello, i have the chance to use a plane. Years ago i damaged my Eustachian tubes and my ears don t quite equalise the same as before though i find i work the jay and the pressure equalises well. I ve been warned that the plane may put too much pressure through them with certain conditions but the fact is even driving up hills i just work the jaw and the pressure equalises so i ve never had a problem.A specialist looked once and said it should be ok i thought i d like to a little surer. I had polyps there that the doctor cut out, other than that i dont have anything else, no puss or anything i can think would interfere. Do you think i can use this plane?
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
I guess you can fly.
Take a few precautions
Half an hour before flying instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin into your nose. Instill 3 drops in each nostril. Read the instructions on the crimp for instilling the drops.
Repeat the procedure half an hour before you land if the flight is longer than 5 hours.
You can chew gum and drink some liquids during take off and landing, it will help to equalise the pressure.
Dr Kishori.