Damage due to blowing nose hard? No cold

Hi, I would like to know if you blow your nose to hard can it cause any kind of damage? The nose blowing i am referring to is not when you have a cold , it s when you take a shower or when you wake in the morning and you blow your nose to clear it. I have a friend who does this but he does it every day two or three times a day and he does it really hard and i am concerned about his health. Can you please give my your opinion.
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and i shall try to help you out with your problem

Our nose is covered by a mucous layer and skin layer in places and both these layes are very delicate. Furthermore, since it is a high pressure area because of the breathing even a minor trauma can cause nose bleed or damage the mucosa in that area. Also the nose is supplied with many blood vessels and is a highly vascular area of the body.

This is the reason why even a finger or nose picking can inititiate massive bleedin in the nose. This can happen in vigorous nose blowing also.

So tell your friend to be careful but of course there is nothing to worry about if he is otherwise normal

Dr Sriram nathan