Cyst between lungs. Benign. Do smoke. Advised not to worry, normal?

Yesterday my doctor told me I had a cyst between my lungs near my sternum that a chest xray did not pick up,but a ct scan did. He told me not to worry, the radiologist and he both think it looks benign, no lymph nodes looked involved. I do smoke and am worried. He told me he was not too worried about it, but would talk to a surgeon to see what he thinks. My father did of small cell lung cancer. Do you think the CT scan would show cancer like images if it were. I guess I just want to know if ct scans and doctors tell me that if I dont have anything to worry about. Is this normal and have you seen it before?

Thank you so much.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013