Cut toe, nail removed. Why did blood gush out? Used iodine. Remove completely?

Last year I went to Las Vegas with my family and fell down an escalator, i ended up falling and broke the toe nail of my big toe and cut my toe. We went to an emergency clinic in Vegas and they said that they had to remove the toe nail because it cut my nail bed as well. My toe was numbed and they took the nail off. Although I couldn t feel that the shots were extremely painful and so was the feeling when the numbing wore off. I went back home and went to a Podiatric College b/c the Clinic was full and i needed to be seen. Students observe but real doctors are working on you. They took a look at it and decided that they needed to clean it so gave me about 5 shots to numb it and clean it and the same thing as last time happened. This was probably the most painful thing i have ever gone to with the shots this time, at one point it truly felt like the needle had shot through the other side of my toe. I couldn t swim for a while and had to wear a little boot. The nail started growing back with a totally normal color yet the freshest part of the nail at the top went up so we wanted to go back to the school to see if they could file it down so that i wouldn t be embarrassed when going to the pool over the summer. When we arrived we were told we arrived the wrong date, a week early, in fact. The next day I put my computer on a table at school and it fell over the table sideways straight on the same toe. I was wearing white toms shoes and i jumped in pain but looked down and blood was gushing through my shoe. With help from my teacher I hopped to the nurses office, obviously they didn t know what to do but tried to clean it again and called my mom to have me picked up. The nail had been broken in half, but the nail bed wasn t cut this time. I went to the Emergency Room at a good hospital and a doctor looked at it. I first had an x-ray and it wasn t broken so they sauntered a hole in the middle of the toe nail to let blood come out and take away pain. They said it didn t need to be removed and then we left. I wore the boot again and still had an appointment to go to the podiatric college (i also had been putting iodine on it twice a day and would wrap it in gauze ). We went today and they looked at it and started to use nail clippers and cut it down by a lot, well less than half, but it seemed like they took off a lot while it was occurring. THe nail is broken in two places, the top is a giant place and there is a little sliver that runs across the bottom of the nail. The right side of the top part of the nail was disconnected and when they tried cleaning what they removed it already popped up a little but the left side is still attached. THe bottom part of the nail sticks up a little and my doctor said that it may be going inside my cuticle and while they removed the parts of the nail, they didn t use the word pus , but see through liquid was coming out of the right side of my nail. It isn t infected but they said they had to remove it or else it could become infected. I don t want to go through such a painful process. I believed that it could fall off itself, so i need answers as soon as possible because they wanted to take it off today but i wasn t mentally prepared so they are planning on doing this on friday. This is also the worst time possible because I have finals in my school right now but the doctor said she didn t want to wait longer than friday. PLEASE HELP ME and answer soon -Maria
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012