Cut the back of leg after falling from stairs, cleaned with salt water, got infected. Water filled bubble formed, swollen. What's happening ?

my neighbor who is around 90 fell down her cement stairs in the summer and cut the back of her leg badly. She tells me that she cut a vain or something. She didnt go to see a doctor and just cleaned the wound with salt water and other things. It began to flake with skin and got seriously infected. It was gross to look at. I can not even explain how bad her leg looked. She still didnt go to the doctor, now the cut in the back of her leg is healed, but it is hard. A couple of weeks ago a huge (about the size of a tennis ball) bubble filled with a water like substance formed on her leg. She was in much pain but just left it. The bubble popped and now it is just left over skin with is a yellowly colour, along with her leg which is red, purple and swollen. I am concerned about her and she has asked me what is wrong with her. So what exactly is it that is happening to her?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Thanks for writing in.

With such an injury she should have gone to doctor and taken correct treatment. We never know if she has developed cellulitis in her leg. Right now she must consult a doctor immediately and get treated else there is a risk of losing her leg.

Hope this helps