Cut on thumb. Used neosporin, Wound healing, swelling and red. Is it due to blood flow?

Hi I cut the knuckle on my thumb with a potato slicer 3 days ago. I immediately put neosporin on it and a couple of bandaids and have been icing it at least 3 times a day. I have continued to do that for the past couple of days b/c it kept opening up. Now that the cut is starting to heal (cut is no longer opening) it has started to swell and is turning slightly red. Is that b/c the blood is flowing there to help the healing?
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012