Thanks for your query.
Oozing pus strongly indicates sepsis
of the wound due to bacterial contamination of the wound. It should not be taken lightly; instead a more prolonged course of appropriate antibiotics should be taken.
Ideally, pus should be sent for culture and sensitivity test. It will identify the causative bacteria and also shortlist the antibiotics to which the causative bacteria are most sensitive. Most sensitive antibiotics should then be prescribed if sepsis persists. Should the pus fails to grow any bacteria, no further antibiotics will be required; daily dressing with only antiseptic cream/ointment would be sufficient.
The wound should be LEFT OPEN till such time the pus dries up and stop oozing.
You may consult a surgeon if required, who knows what would be best option for you.
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal