Crunching sound in knees. Ultrasound shows water in both knees. How to stop the sound?

Hi my name is keith, an question to you is this,i here a crunching sound in both of my knees, i went to my family doctor to get it check, he have me done an ultrasound an both knees, i found there is water in both knees,by the way my knees doesn t hurt i carry out may daily activity still go to the gym,my doctor didn t recomment an thing for it he said it will go away.i would like to know if there is anything i can do to stop that sound,its annoying.thank in advance.
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.
Based on your description it seems you have osteoarthritis knee. My advice would be do hamstrings and quadriceps muscle strengthening exercises,avoid squatting and cross leg sitting.Beside ibuprofen as pain killer you may take glucosamine,the recommended dose of glucosamine sulphate (1500mg) and chondroitin sulphate (800-1200mg) daily in divides doses. Glucosamine by nutralite is a good brand and with balanced composition. This is usually given for 3 months and then 6 months off after there is symptomatic improvement. This is not a pain killer so additional medicines are required for pain control and optimum joint activity.
Regarding exercise avoid jumping/jogging on hard concrete surface, swimming is the best exercise.
Avoid food which is rich in sugar, oil to control body weight and eat food (whole grain, fruit and vegetable) which are rich in fiber.
I hope this information suffices.
Dr.mukesh chugh (