Cramps in the outside muscles of legs, not related to exercise. Taking gapapentgin for RLS. Causes?

I ve recently starting suffering from late night cramps in the outside muscles of my legs (I believe preoneus longus???) muscle. It doesn t seem like it is related to exercise or work load during the day.........I haven t changed my diet or starting taking new meds. (I take 2700 mg gapapentin for RLS ). It occurs in both legs nearly simulatenously during the middle of the night. I ve increase my water intake - I take a multi-vitamin.
Asked On : Wed, 19 Sep 2012