Cramps, had blood clot discharge. Sexually active. Was that a miscarriage?

I have a serious question and im not sure if I should be worried or not. me and my boyfriend are sexual active and i started my period a couple days ago, nothing unusual because it started on the day it does every month, but this time ive cramped and had abdominal pains more then usual. this morning when i went to the restroom a noticed a big blood clot following with a chunk of a fatty looking object. im not sure if thats just left over stuff from where i had a baby 6 months ago or if its an early miscarriage????? please help me. i am also on birth control if that helps the question
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013