Cramps during intercourse, abdominal pain when coughing. Irregular periods. Needs checking?

Hello, Im a 35 year old female, recently I have begun to have mild menstrual like cramps while having intercourse with my husband of 7 years. And around the same time that started (about 4 days ago,) I have also been experiencing a sharp pain in my lower abdomen when I turn in my sleep and when I move from a sitting position into standing and even when I cough at times. Im not sure when my last cycle was because my periods are very irregular. Do you think this is something that needs to be checked? I have heard a lot of hearsay about cysts..but unsure what could be going on. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013
Hi ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. You have not mentioned if you get any fever or any foul smelling vaginal discharge. If it is so, then you may be having a pelvic infection which is causing you this problem, and in that case you may have to go for an appropriate course of antibiotics at the same time getting your husband also examined and treated if it recurs again.

If none of the above symptoms are there, I would advise you for an pelvic ultrasound to rule out any pelvic pathology, like endometriosis with cysts in the ovaries of seedling endometiosis in the space between the rectum and vagina.
Apart from these pathological processes, this would also help me in excluding an unsuspected pregnancy because of your irregular periods.

In any case, you need to get yourself examined by a gynaecologist as you are having symptoms which needs attention by a doctor.

I hope this helps you in further course of action to be taken by you. Thanks for using healthcaremagic forum for your health query. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.