Cramping during periods. Dark brown bleeding during periods. Pregnancy test negative. Reason for cramps?

Hi, i have been experiencing extreme cramping during my periods which i am having to breathe through the pain. Mefanemic acid is not helping much. I have also just had a period which started off as brown spotting and then developed into more dark brown (old?) blood , but no normal red blood. The brown blood was quite gritty and there were a couple of clotts. This has never happened before, but the severe cramping is happening every cycle. I have taken a pregnancy test and it is negative. Can you help?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013