Cracking neck a lot. Tried to resist, pressure builds up. Hard lump under skin, sore. Why?

I have recently found myself cracking my neck a lot, I believe as the result of a change in workout and longer time spent in front of the computer... I try to resist the urge but the pressure builds up and I give in, sometimes doing so repeatedly until I tell myself to stop it because I know it can t be good. Today I found myself cracking my neck but when I put my hand to the back of my head there was also a hard lump under the skin and even a sore on top of it... really scary obviously I know I need to stop cracking my neck, but what have I done to myself in the meantime?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013