Crack in sternum, clicks on breathing, dull pain in chest. Concerned?

hello i have had a cracking in my sternum directly on the bone on my left side for a long time now. every time i breath in it clicks and even though its not painful as such when it happens as such, theres a dull pain in my chest constantly every day and im quite concerened about what it is. i sometimes get quite severe chest pains following it sometimes causing a lack of breath. i have smoked for 6 years and i am 19 years old could this be a reason for it?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013