Coughing up yellow-brown mucous, phlegm, throat sore, blood. What is going on?

Hey I m an occasional smoker and I ve been coughing up yellow-brown mucous and phlegm for a while, but recently my throat has become very sore and my loogies have gotten much thicker, almost rubbery. Also, they have gotten darker since my soreness started, and with small amounts of blood . I m becoming increasingly worried, and have a doctors appointment soon. I just wanted an early opinion so I know what to expect. Can someone enlighten me on what s going on?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013