Coughing up phlegm and mucus. Why does head start to hurt?

ive had this cough for a little more than a week. at first i was coughing up phlegm and mucus and now its mostly gone. but now im just coughing. during the day im coughing less and less, but at night, it comes right back. recently in the last couple days the back right of my head starts hurting/aching whenever i cough. is this bad?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that your pain is due to sprain of the neck muscles as a result of coughing.

I would advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated for cause of cough and take medication accordingly.

You can take an antihistamine like Fexofenadine 120 mg once a day for relief from cough.
If chest auscultation indicates bronchitis then a bronchodilator may be helpful.
Warm saline gargles are also helpful.

Also get yourself investigated for :-
1. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ).
2. Throat swab culture.
3. Sputum examination.

Further medical management can be planned according to the reports of the above mentioned Investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you.