Coughing up green phlegm, congested, tried antibiotics. What can I do?

I have a question, I ve had what my doctor told me is bronchitis for about 6 weeks now. I am still coughing, but a lot less than before. I ve been coughing up green phlegm a lot and as of last week, I have been terribly congested and when i blow my nose it s very green too. I don t know if i ve had any fevers, but i know i just don t feel well. I have tried a lot of antibiotics and everything, but i m just wondering why i m still sick. I ve never been sick so long in my life. No, i m not a smoker, nor am i around it. I m a teacher, so I want to get better! What can i do?
Asked On : Mon, 7 May 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Coughing out green phlegms is considered to be pathognomic of infection of a micro-organism called pseudomonas, which is little bit tough bacteria to be eradicated. What I feel is you must go for a sputum examination (gram staining, culture, AFB) to know the sensitivity pattern of the bacilli to the antibiotics, so that appropriate antibiotics can be given.
Secondarily if AFB test in sputum is positive, then its tuberculosis for which 6 months of treatment is warranted.
Alternatively you can go for bronchoscopy, to visualize the airway and samples collected may be processed and guide the treatment....

Best wishes