Coughing, phlegm buildup after taking alcohol. Any idea?

Hello - After consuming alcohol (considerable amount), soon after laying down I start coughing a lot and feel a build up in my lungs (phlem or mucus?). This can go on for hours during the night until it seems to run it's course. It's comparable to the feeling you get when you have the wheezing and build-up in your lungs when having broncitus or something similair. Even the next morning/day, it is still there and then usually gone by night time (24 hours). This only happens with alcohol, never with food of any type. Any idea of why this is happening (other than because of the alcohol consumption)? It's something that has just starteded within the last 6 months and happened a couple of times.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
It's probably reflux caused by the alcohol. The alcohol is decreasing your lower esophageal sphincter tone to the point that you have stomach fluids coming up into the airway. That would be my best guess with the information provided.