Coughing and burping up phlegm with white foam, feeling of obstruction in throat, get tiny specs of blood occasionally. Suggestions?

Hi im a 21 year old athletic male, ive been coughing/burping up Phlegm and white foam, it doesnt hurt my throat or my stomach at all. it feels like something is stuck in my throat somewhere like a wad of phlegm. ill get tiny specs of looks like blood every now an then too. im very confused as to what this could be. any suggestions?
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
am Dr Sriram nathan and I shall try to help you with your problem

In all probably you might have an infection or reflux in your throat and this would have caused your symptoms.
The Phlegm and white foam can be either due to an infection or a reflux in which case it can be blood stained also.

None of these are to be worried. You can easily treat them and you can get back to normal in a week or so!

In any case you must do these:
1. Take warm water with a little salt and gargle

2. If you have pain then you must start a course of oral antibiotic like the amox-clav along with pain killers like the paracetamol or diclofenac. Your doctor will know about this.

3. I would also start an anti reflux medication like the pantoprazole for a week or two

4. Avoid anything spicy and oily for the next one week or two

5. take voice rest for your throat and do not take anything cold. Also do not have anything very hard.

6. You may also take an antihistamine medication like levocetrizine for a couple of weeks or so in consultation with your doctor.

7. Search the net for ANTI REFLUX MEASURES and follow them strictly

You should feel better in a week or two.

If not then you must consult an ENT surgeon to evaluate your tonsil and throat. Also take a throat swab and upper GI endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT with the report.

hope this helps

Dr Sriram Nathan