Cough with mucus, chest burning while coughing. Using Nicorette inhaler. Done breast surgery. Should I see my GP?

I have a very mucousy cough & have cut my smoking down from 10 a day to 4 a day using a nicorette inhalater as I am going into hospital in a week minor breast surgery . The cough however has become even more productive, & my chest burns intensely when I cough. The mucous I am producing is a grey/brown colour, & the pain in my chest seems to burn across the top & down the mi &ddle. I am worried that if it is a chest infection they won t do my surgery but dont want to take antibiotics unless I need to. Should I see my GP, will I need antibiotics & will they still do my surgery?
Asked On : Wed, 14 Nov 2012