Cough, phlegm, difficulty breathing. What should I do?

I have a chesty cough for the past 3 weeks, have been to the doc who gave me mediaction to induce phlegm and cough up but since then i am coughing consistantly, battle to breathe battle to sleep at nights i feel weak and miserable and at times my cough is so irratating and painful that i wish i were dead, what should i do i am like wheezing , battling for breathe as i write to you, email me at YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello Mr Chinnasamy,

With your chest condition as described, you would be better off in a hospital. You need urgent attention of an emergency physician. He can give medicines to increase the caliber of the wind pipe, either direct into the airways (by nebulization) or into your veins. This will relieve your breathing problem to some extent. You will feel much better.

It is necessary to check whether a microbe has infected your lungs. If so, an antibiotic is essential. If one is unable breathe or sleep, he is liable to be very weak and feel miserable. Condition as described by you needs emergency medical attention at the earliest.

Wish you get immediate relief from your problem with the help of your local chest physician,