Cough, mucus running down throat. Tried humidifier, eucalyptus oil. Can I try piriton?

My son has a terrible cough, it looks like he is choking on mucus that is running down his throat. I have tried everything and have him in a room with humidifier , eucalyptus oil , vicks on chest and mattress raised but tonight even with all of that is worse night of all. He s waking every hour. Dr gave us an inhaler but that doesn t seem to have made a difference. Am wanting to try Piriton, will this have any positive effect in drying up the mucus? Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012