Cough, congestion, fever, ear pain. Taking amoxicillin, using saline nasal spray. Cure?

My son has had a cough, congestion and low grade fever for over a week now. We were in the ER and at his pediatrician . We were told it was viral, flu . Give it time. Yesterday he was complaining if ear pain, took him to a med express and he had an infection in his right ear. Left with amoxicillin and were told to use saline nose spray. Today he has fluid leaking from his left ear. He says it doesn t hurt but is itchy. The outer ear is crusty from the fluid draining. What is going on?
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013