Cough, chest congestion, unconsciousness, breathlessness. What is wrong?

My Dad is 60yrs old, He is suffering from a cough and chest congestion, He coughs too much continously Earlier he used feel fine after taking the prescribed medicine but these days when sometime he coughs too strong, He is getting fainted and I noticed He stop breathing for that moment and when we shake him hard he comes back normal after taking a loud breath through his mouth,We are not able to understand the condition, Please help in understanding this condition and guide me on its cure. recently He fainted in same manner 3 times. Please Help
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013
Welcome to HCM,
A case of your father require evaluation. Consult Pumonologist and get examined.
Disease of COPD is to be ruled out.
Go for x-ray chest.
Go for routine blood check up.
After reports Pulmonologist will go for treatment accordingly.
Ask him for going deep breathing exercise.
Avoid smoking if he smokes.
Ok and bye.
Hi ,
Welcome to HCM,
Your father might have COPD .

This limits airflow to and from the lungs, causing shortness of breath (dyspnea). , this limitation is poorly reversible and usually gets progressively worse over time.

The diagnosis of COPD is dyspnea, chronic cough or sputum production, and a history of exposure to risk factors for the disease such as regular tobacco smoking.
No single symptom or sign can adequately confirm or exclude the diagnosis of COPD.You should go for X-rays and other pulmonary tests your physician suggests and get medication accordingly.
Good luck for him and feel free for any suggestion.
Many Thanks,
Dr Shilpi Gupta