Cough and severe pain persisting even after the tonsillectomy. Itching in the throat. Any suggestions?

I had a tonsillectomy exactly one week ago today. Tuesday January 15th, 2013. My biggest issue is that I was sick BEFORE I had the tonsillectomy but I was reassured that I would still be fine. The pain has been nearly unbearable when the pain killers wore off and that cough has returned! I am scared to cough too much or eat anything rough because I know it can cause premature falling off of the scabs. But the throat is painfully itchy and i can feel the scabs hanging down! It makes me want to cough but i m afraid. Please help!
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013