Cough. Had catarrh at back of nasal passage. Follow up check up normal. Advice

I had catarhh at the back of my nasal passages 10 days ago. I saw my doctor on Tuesday who examined my chest,breathing, throat etc., and said I had the 'tail end' of a virul infection. No medication was offered but she told me to buy a honey & lemon linctus to ease the cough. However the cough is still there, it catches my throat in my sleep, when I speak, and makes me cough. I have steamed my face, gargled and taken various cough syrups, what else can I do please?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013