Corn on toe, hard yellowish skin in the center after putting corn cap repeatedly. How long should I wait?

hello doctor.. I had corn on my toe . It was growing and got pointed.. so i put corn cap on that. After 3-4 days i removed the corn cap. Corn got soft and i removed that skin.. put antisceptic powder. Skin dried up but still there was some pain when i pressed that area. It was ring shaped dead skin now. So i put one more corn cap to make sure that corn vanishes from its root. Its been 6 days now, and i just removed the corn cap. Again more dead soft skin is removed now, but still there is a hard yellowish skin in the center. So how long should i wait? I dont know whether corn is gone or not? please guide me
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Apart from the corn cap you need a change in your footwear to ensure that pressure is relieved from the area where the corn is present during walking otherwise the corn would re form. If the corn does not respond to application with corn cap for another couple of days then you can go to a surgeon and get that surgically removed. This can cause quite a bit of pain in the postoperative period but it removes the "root" of the corn and can be quite successful as a therapy. However, prevention of recurrence using the customized footwear is the most important part.