Copper coil fitted after twin birth. Having two cycles of periods in a month. Looking for treatment

Hi I am a 31 year old women with 5 year old twin boys. since the pregnancy I have been allowed hormonal contraception as it doesnt appear to work for me so I have the copper coil fitted. I have been keeping a diary and have found that on the 14 day on every menstral cycle I feel depressed I dont want to get out of bed and worst of all I become short tempered with my husband and kids. This seems to carry on until the 1st day of my period . Is there something I can Do to stop this.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012
Hello and welcome,

I completely understand the problem and you are having pre menstrual syndrome. This is very common and happens in many women.

There are various remedies for it and they have to be tailor made by trial and error. The commonest one are oral contraceptive pills and you have already not tolerated them. Evening primrose oil is also useful. Another remedy is antidepressants that are very useful and need to be used for a short term to control symptoms.
Lifestyle modification, simple diet and exercise are also helpful.

So please see your behavioral therapist and gynecologist for the same and get the drugs prescribed and you will be alright.
Hope this was helpful.
Feel free to ask any further queries and I will be happy to help.
Thanks for using HCM.
Have a good day.
Dr Nilajkumar Bagde          
Consultant Obstetrics and Gynecology