Continuous fever, ultrasound showed mild ascities in abdomen, normal LFT, kidney tests. What is the cause?

my brother is 36 years old.he was suffering from fever since a month his ultrasound report revealed that mild ascities found in his general abdomin but his liver function tests , kidney tests, pancreas are quite normal.what could be the cause of this ascities in his abdomin..a physician in pakistan suggested that he is suffering from a stomach infection and swelling in his stomach.please tell me the reason of this fluid and if it is dangerous?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012