Continuous chunks of endometrial lining and a heavy flow with clots post insertion of copper IUD. Normal?

Hi, I received the copper IUD on Monday (about 3.5 days ago). After the day it was inserted, I ve been experiencing heavy bleeding. This is not like menstrual bleeding; I have chunks of endometrial lining and a heavy flow (more than my very heavy periods) for almost 40 hours nonstop. When will this stop? I was very concerned at seeing the large clot-like pieces that I was seeing, one was about an inch in diamteter. I am not experiencing anything more than severe discomfort. I am not taking any pills, such as ibuprofen , and stopped taking them about 12 hours after insertion. I called the OB/GYN and they didn t say too much. They told me to call back if I was still the same on Monday (6 days total). Shouldn t severe, non-stop bleeding reside soon?
Asked On : Mon, 21 May 2012