Continuous bleeding post delivery, normal ultrasound. Cause of persistent bleeding?

Hello ,i want to ask a question about that bleeding persists after delivery of baby ,,, i know that bleeding remain for 40 days and in some cases for about 55/60 days ,, my wife now still bleeding for 74 days after delivery ,,when we do ultrasound the doctor said the urterus in very good what is the cause for that bleed
Asked On : Wed, 16 May 2012
Mar 2014
I am Dr Madhuri a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist and will be helping you with your queries.
A bleeding for more than 2 months is uncommon and needs investigations. The common causes are infection, sloughing of the placental bed, molar pregnancy [ peculiar condition where chorionic tissue develops at the site of placenta very very rare], retained bits of placenta.

As of now, as the ultrasound is inconclusive, she must have a cervical swab tested for infection and a urine pregnancy test to determine molar pregnancy.

If it is an infection then antibiotics will help in healing. In our set up we prefer prophylactic antibiotics even before the results of swab tests are available if there is a clinical suspicion as endometritis is a serious condition. If the above two are negative, get a hysteroscopy to examine the inside of the uterus or a plain curetting to see if any small missed bits are there and remove them.

Please do not worry. These are not uncommon issues and can be managed.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist