Constipation, abdominal cramping, unable to expel gas. Should I see a doctor?

I am a healthy 65 year old female who is fairly active, working full time. I have not had any abdominal surgery or trauma. I have experienced constipation and severe abdominal cramping for the last 4 days. For most of that time I have been unable to even expel the gas creating the cramping. This morning I was able to excrete a small amount of loose stool and gas... but wonder if I should make an appt. for a colonoscopy or just try various fiber and hydration attempts first. how long before I should seek medical attention?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013