Constant throbbing, sharp pain in lower abdomen. No medication working. X-ray required?

I have constant throbbing, ache and sharp pains in the lower right abdomen , I had cysts on the overy removed in November which seemed to ease the plain for a while, now it s back even worse. They thought for a long time it was ibs , until that was ruled out when no medication worked, it s a constant pain that doesn t go away? I m considering asking for an X-ray of the full area to see it there is anything untoward?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal X-ray (if this is what you are thinking about) is good for bowels obstruction and perforation diagnostic. Urinary tract stones are sometimes also visible on it. In other cases it is completely useless.

As you have had ovarian cyst before, another one can appear. Especially if the symptoms you have are very similar to those caused by ovarian cyst.

If the laparoscopy have been performed, adhesions caused bowels obstruction is possible. However it usually gives nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal cramping.

Lower right abdominal pain can be also caused by urinary tract infection, stones, appendicitis (only if the pain has appeared recently), inguinal hernia. If you are 50 or older, large intestine polyps or cancer should be always ruled out.

I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should start with blood work, CRP and abdominal ultrasound. Gynecologist consult and transvaginal ultrasound should be also done.

Hope this will help.