Constant swelling in the abdominal region post an accident resulting in broken ribs. Serious?

My girlfriend got into a car wreck and was diagnosed early Tuesday May 29th with 2 broken ribs - I believe it was the 6th and 7th rib and the doc said she was lucky because one is located by the heart . the next day she noticed some swelling in her abdominal region and it has been that way since. It doesnt hurt but I was wondering if this is normal considering the injury or if it may be something more serious.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Jun 2012