Constant rise in BP after taking metroprolol for a-fib. Had taken metroprolol instead of diliazem due to constricted esophagus. How long will it take to normalize?

Hi, I was in the hospital a few weeks ago with a rapid heartbeat which was a-fib. I saw the cardiologist and he recommended that I take diltiazem 120 mg twice a day and altace 10 mg once a day. I also have high blood pressure and it did keep it under control. I had a problem swallowing the diliazem because I have a constricted esphyagus which I get stretched once a year. When I went to my family doctor she recommended that I switch to metroprolol 25 mg twice a day in place of the diltiazem. That was on a Thursday and by Saturday night I was in the ER with a BP of 293 over 102. I called my cardiologist when I got home and they suggested I go back on the Diltiazem and Altace twice a day and called in 6o mg of diltiazem, 2 tablets twice a day since it is a smaller pill to swalllow. My BP is still running between 150/75 to 175/85. How long will it take for it to get back to a healthy BP?
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012