Constant pain on big toes that turns to infection and subsides. Cause and home remedies?

I am a young teen and constantly get pain in either of my big toes. It turns to an infection and in a couple weeks, goes away. it stays away for a few weeks, then comes back in the other or the same toe. I have gym every day and am timed running track. It was very painful today, but i had to run. I have looked it up, and I think it is an ingrown toe nail. But it keeps coming back? What is it and what can I do for it at home? Please help.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012