Constant blockage in ear with pulsation, have normal eardrum, temporary relief on popping with holding nostril. What could it be?

My left ear has been blocked and pulsating for years now. I have seen an ENT specialist & had scans etc. the eardrum looks normal and I am able to pop it by holding my nose but it remains blocked. 5years ago I had a grommet inserted which made things worse and had to be removed I recently bought an Ear Popper but no improvement. I have always thought that this was ETD. What else can it be. It would be wonderful if there was an answer to this Sue Clitherowt
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I read your medical history conserning your problem of costant ear blockage and that can be temporarily relef by blowing nose against closed nostrils. This clearly shows that your eustachian tube is blocked.

To manage a thorough examination of nose, paranasal sinuses, oral cavity & nasopharynx and some basic investigations like-

1- C.T. Scan of paranasal sinuses.

2- Culture & sensitivity of throat swab.

3- Impedance audiometry.

By the co-relation of clinical findings with inferences of investigations one may made diagnosis. The possibilities are-

a- Sinusitis with recurrent sore throat.

b- Enlarged Adenoids.

c- Chronic pharyngitis.

d- Fibrosed eustachian tube and its opening.

Depending upon the diagnosis it is treated, treatment may be coservative or surgery of sinuses, adenoids or by insertion of gromet on ear drum.