Consistent swelling and redness on ears, occasional itching post a fall, no pain. Signs to look out for?

my grandson had a fall yesterday from a stool in the living room. He is 13 months old. He does not seem to be in any pain, no crying, The ear is red and swollen. Occasionally he seems to trying to scratch it. My son s inlaws live with them and the inlaws dont think anything is wrong. He seems to be okay, but I am concerned if you can get an infection from a fall or if it normal for the ear to still be swollen after 24 hours. My son as growing up had tubes put in his ears a number of times so I am recalling my times with that but I dont recall a swollen ear from the ear infection just alot of crying and his pulling on his ear at that time. What would I be on the lookout for to have them take him into to be looked at.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012