Consistent stabbing, burning pain in neck, shoulder, back area. Taken Aspirin. No relief. Reason, treatment?

Over the past few months I have experienced unusual back/ neck pain , however the past 2 weeks have been awful. My pain is relatively consistent in my neck and shoulder area. The pain is of a stabbing and burning variety. I think a possible root cause is my left shoulder literally grinds, cracks, and pops with every movement. I am 35 and overall healthy have no traumatic events that would have caused this. My pain is become chronic and is consistently around a 5, but peaks at around 7-8...and my tolerance is relatively high. Any thoughts? Aspirin isn t helping and I avoid prescription pain meds like the plague , but I may need them.
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012