Consistent left shoulder pain, difficulty in lifting. Pain relief measures?

Hi, my name is Jeanna. Last year my left shoulder started hurting to the point I could raise it. I had to get a muscle relaxer, pain pills, and another med I can t remember. It never completely stop hurting, but it no long felt like I being stabbed in the back of my shoulder. Now..the pain has returned. I have problems lifting my left arm with out pain. Sometimes if it relaxes as I sit, and then once I move its like a knife cut into me. And, its worse when I lay down for bed. I can t lay on it and if I turn to the right I have to put a pillow complete under the arm to keep in balanced. If it falls forward it s unbearable, if falls backwards the same results. If I cup my left shoulder it hurts to. Now I lay on my back but that causes me other unrelated problems. Please advise. What can I do to stop this pain. I m tired of taking asprin. Getting only 3 and 4 hours of sleep a night. I find myself crying all the time because of the pain.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Psychologist 's  Response
Hello & Welcome To HCM,
I had gone through your case Jeanna, I found that it may be starting of Frozen shoulder or cervical spondylitis or simple muscle spam frequently to wrong posture of lying or sitting. For correct diagnosis you go for digital X-Ray of both cervical and shoulder.Definetly you will get the correct diagnosis. Meanwhile you do some cervical and shoulder exercise and avoid pillow.
Thanks & Regards:
Dr Soni Verma